A 2-day Malaria Research Dissemination Workshop was held at Barcelona Hotels, Abuja on 17 and 18 October 2017. Opening Remarks was given by the Honorable Minister for Health, represented by the Director of Public Health, Federal Ministry of Health, Dr Evelyn Ngige.
Also in attendance at the Opening ceremony and launch was the PMI Advisor of CDC, Dr Mark Maire, National coordinator of The NMEP, Dr Audu Bala, the Senior Resident Advisor of NFELTP represented by Dr Shakir Balogun (Frontline FETP Resident Advisor), Dr Osinowo, Malaria Program Coordinator, Lagos State, Prof Ezedinachi (University of Port Harcourt.
Sixty one persons were in attendance, made up of Stakeholders from NMEP, FMOH, residents and graduates of NFELTP and malaria experts from the academia (Professor Mokuolu [Head, Malaria Research group, University of Ilorin], Prof Georgina Mwasat (University of Jos) Dr.Emem Bassey [Malaria in Pregnancy, Akwa Ibom State] ), NFELTP Faculty (University of Ibadan and Ahmadu Bello University Zaria) and the media.
There were 24 presentations on the NFELTP Malaria Research Activities across these themes, viz: Malaria Case Management , Malaria in pregnancy , Laboratory/Malaria Diagnostics , Vector Control (IVM) , and Surveillance, Monitoring & Evaluation .
The participants recognized the weak link between research community and the NMEP, rare dissemination of research findings either locally or internationally, difficulty in translating evidence into policy and strategies and low or no budgetary allocation for operations research activities.
The following observations/recommendations were made based on the research studies presented by NFELTP graduates/residents.
- Development of The Nigerian Malaria Operational Research Plan is highly commendable and could serve as a template for other African Countries.
- The question of scientific rigour was raised as regards robustness of methodology.
- The absence of some key stakeholders was noted due to strings of other malaria related engagements. The need for planning and development of an annual timetable of malaria related events was highlighted to prevent future occurrence.
- The scope of the research areas should be broadened to include vector bionomics and genetic aspects of epidemiology.
- A repository of research results should be developed for periodic discussions and reviews.
- Malaria Research Summit should be conducted periodically to deliberate on the repository of research results.
- The residents in various states should be adequately engaged by the State Malaria Elimination Programs in order to harness their capacities.
- Stakeholders at all levels especially The State Program managers should key into the malaria operational research agenda.
Author : Admin
Date Published : 2017-10-24 16:32:16
OTHER AFENET Nigeria News
RI Sokoto Visit (2018-05-22 09:22:19) Public health issue in Nigeria (2018-05-22 08:30:29) April Surveillance (2018-05-02 02:33:39) Frontline FETP Quarterly Report: January – March 2018 (2018-04-25 10:16:08) CGH Director engages Nigeria FELTP and NSTOP programs teams (2018-03-27 10:15:18) SMS PROJECT (2018-03-27 09:44:48) LEADERSHIP TRAINING (2018-03-22 09:56:34) CDC Team Visit (2018-03-22 09:36:34) DHIS2 Oyo Handover (2018-02-03 19:25:20) First round of Oral Polio Vaccination (OPV) campaign for 2018 (2018-02-03 19:20:26) First southwest zonal performance review meeting on DHIS2 (2018-02-03 19:16:03) AFENET Executive Director Dr Chima Ohuabunwo meets Nigeria Minister of Health, Prof Isaac Adewole (2018-02-03 09:23:45) LAGAIS PILOT SURVEY AND PILOT REVIEW MEETING (2018-01-08 09:55:40) Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission (PMTCT) of HIV Cascade Evaluation (2018-01-08 06:12:18) AFENET Nigeria Celebrates World AIDS Day (2017-12-13 03:28:06) Surveillance peer-review (2017-12-08 16:10:32) District Health Information System2 (DHIS2) Jigawa State (2017-12-08 15:49:00) National Stop Transmission of polio (NSTOP) Retreat (2017-12-08 15:31:24) October round of State Immunization Plus Days (SIPDs) (2017-10-31 04:12:24) DHIS2 Training - Borno (2017-10-31 04:04:13) NSTOP SURVEILLANCE REVIEW MEETING (2017-10-26 04:34:45) Outbreak Investigation (2017-10-24 17:22:16) Cohort 8 Clusters 3 & 4 didactic lectures (2017-10-24 17:13:57) 1. Dissemination of the National Malaria Operations Research Agenda (NMORA) Organized by the Nigeria Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Programme (NFELTP) in Collaboration with the National Ma (2017-10-24 16:32:16) Field site supervisory visits for Cohort 9 Residents (2017-10-24 14:40:13)